Meta Pixel Witnesses in Flood-Control Probe Faced Threats Before Pulling Statements | Breaking News Negros Oriental

Witnesses in Flood-Control Probe Faced Threats Before Pulling Statements

Attorney Levito Baligod revealed that four witnesses who withdrew their testimony in the flood-control investigation were subjected to threats, surveillance, and financial pressure before recanting.

Witnesses in Flood-Control Probe Faced Threats Before Pulling Statements
Photo from Rappler/file — Image: Breaking News Negros Oriental

Before four witnesses in the congressional flood-control investigation suddenly withdrew their sworn statements, they had already been subjected to a sustained campaign of psychological pressure, financial inducements, threats, and apparent restriction of movement — this, according to the lawyer representing the 14 witnesses who continue to uphold their original accounts.

Attorney Levito Baligod made the disclosure on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, following a meeting with the Office of the Ombudsman, which had invited him to shed light on the circumstances surrounding the four recantations. Baligod's account paints a troubling picture of what he characterized as a deliberate and coordinated effort to undermine the integrity of one of the country's most closely watched anti-corruption proceedings.

A Focused Campaign to Break Witnesses

The four witnesses who withdrew their testimonies — popularly referred to as the "Maleta Boys" — had long been the targets of what Baligod described as a systematic effort to erode their willingness to testify.

"Matagal na po kasi silang target of focused operations, psychological, financial, and, well, may mga threats," Baligod told reporters after the Ombudsman meeting, suggesting that the pressure had been building for some time before the recantations were formally filed.

Baligod further said that at the time the four withdrew their statements, they appeared to be confined to an undisclosed location and were seemingly unable to leave of their own accord. He declined to identify where they were being held or who may have been responsible for restricting their movement.

Surveillance Allegedly Conducted on Witness's Home

Among the more alarming incidents Baligod detailed was what appeared to be surveillance conducted on the residence of Rodante Orbillo, one of the 14 witnesses who has not wavered in his original testimony.

According to Baligod, an individual who identified himself as a National Bureau of Investigation agent visited the vicinity of Orbillo's home and demonstrated detailed knowledge of the property — including awareness of a river located at the rear of the house. Baligod said such specific knowledge pointed to prior reconnaissance of the site.

However, Baligod was careful to qualify his account, noting that he was unable to independently confirm whether the individual was a genuine NBI operative.

Recanting Witness Called a Holdout in Apparent Bid to Persuade

Baligod also disclosed that Benny Bulontate, one of the four witnesses who recanted, later placed a telephone call to one of the 14 who have maintained their sworn accounts. Baligod described Bulontate as visibly distressed during the call — pale and with swollen eyes — and said the recanter appeared to be attempting to convince the holdout witness to follow his lead and withdraw.

The manner and circumstances of the call, as relayed by Baligod, strongly suggested that Bulontate himself may have been acting under coercion or duress at the time he made contact.

Messages Reference 'Temptation'; Millions Allegedly Offered

In a separate development, Baligod had earlier shown reporters screenshots of messages he attributed to one of the recanters. The messages included an apology directed at Baligod himself, along with a reference to a "temptation" the witness said he was facing — language Baligod interpreted as consistent with a financial inducement to withdraw.

The account was reinforced by the testimony of witness George Villalon Jr., who claimed that each of the witnesses had been approached with offers ranging from ₱20 million to ₱25 million in exchange for pulling their statements. Villalon said he, too, was approached with such an offer but refused it outright.

Baligod, however, was clear in stressing that none of the alleged bribery offers have been independently verified, and that no financial paper trail has been publicly established linking any named individual to the purported payments.

Ombudsman Points to Romualdez Camp; Romualdez Denies Link

The recantations have cast a long shadow over the broader investigation into former House Speaker Martin Romualdez. Ombudsman Jesus Crispin "Boying" Remulla has publicly stated his belief that Romualdez's camp orchestrated the withdrawal of the four testimonies — a claim that Romualdez has flatly denied.

The case itself revolves around accusations of plunder, graft, bribery, and money laundering connected to an alleged ₱56-billion flood-control scheme. Despite the setback posed by the four recantations, the proceedings have continued, bolstered by 14 witnesses who have refused to back down from their original sworn statements, according to Baligod and records of the case.

Baligod's meeting with the Ombudsman's office signals that investigators are actively examining the conditions under which the four witnesses reversed course — and whether those conditions constitute witness tampering or obstruction of the anti-corruption process.

By the Numbers

  • 4 — witnesses who recanted their sworn statements in the flood-control investigation
  • 14 — witnesses who continue to uphold their original sworn testimony
  • ₱20 million to ₱25 million — alleged per-witness bribe amount, as claimed by George Villalon Jr.
  • ₱56 billion — total value of the alleged flood-control scheme at the center of the investigation

Why This Matters

The flood-control probe ranks among the most significant corruption cases currently under the Office of the Ombudsman's jurisdiction, involving allegations of plunder and graft tied to ₱56 billion in public money. The pattern of alleged pressure described by Baligod — encompassing threats, apparent confinement, surveillance of witness properties, and bribe offers as high as ₱25 million per person — represents a direct threat to the evidentiary foundation of the entire case. Should the accounts of Baligod and Villalon be substantiated, they would constitute a serious and coordinated effort to obstruct a major state anti-corruption proceeding.

Source: Rappler

Recommended Ad
Shop deals on Shopee

We may earn from qualifying purchases.

Get the week's top stories in your inbox

Free weekly newsletter — no spam, unsubscribe anytime.