Meta Pixel Campus Gunfire at Ateneo de Zamboanga Kills Two, PNP Restores Order | Breaking News Negros Oriental

Campus Gunfire at Ateneo de Zamboanga Kills Two, PNP Restores Order

Gunfire erupted inside Ateneo de Zamboanga University on Tuesday morning, killing at least two people — including the suspected student shooter — before police declared the situation under control.

Campus Gunfire at Ateneo de Zamboanga Kills Two, PNP Restores Order
Photo from Rappler/file — Image: Breaking News Negros Oriental

Tuesday morning classes at Ateneo de Zamboanga University turned deadly on August 18, 2026, when gunshots rang out inside the campus, leaving at least two people dead and an unknown number of others hurt. Within hours, authorities had secured the grounds and were working to piece together what happened, even as conflicting reports on the casualty count complicated the picture for anxious parents and the broader public.

University Confirms Two Deaths, President Says Shooting Has Ended

Ateneo de Zamboanga University released an official statement confirming two fatalities in the wake of the incident, according to Philstar.com. Among those killed was the suspected gunman, identified as a student enrolled at the institution.

University president Ernald Andal subsequently addressed the situation publicly, confirming that the campus was no longer facing an active shooting threat. Andal stated that no additional deaths or injuries had been reported beyond what was already confirmed, as noted by the South China Morning Post.

In a move meant to reassure families of younger students, the university's grade school and junior high school departments separately issued advisories to parents stating that their children were safe and accounted for, Philstar.com reported.

Gunfire Broke Out on Upper Floors of High School Building Before 8 A.M.

Police Regional Office 9 public information chief Major Shellamie Chang told reporters that the office received the initial shooting report at 7:50 in the morning, with responding officers arriving at the campus shortly afterward, according to Philstar.com. The shooting is said to have occurred on the upper floors of a high school building within the university compound, Rappler reported.

Access to the campus was restricted in the immediate aftermath, with reporters barred from entering the grounds. As a result, verified details about the sequence of events remained scarce during the first several hours following the incident.

Chang further noted that personnel from Police Station 7 in Santa Maria — the station with jurisdiction over the school — were deployed to the site and remained there alongside the city police director, according to SunStar. Students who had been on campus were evacuated and moved to a designated assembly area while investigators continued to process the scene.

Casualty Figures Remain Disputed Across Early Reports

The reported number of victims varied considerably depending on the source in the immediate aftermath of the shooting. Some local media outlets placed the number of wounded at nine, according to Philstar.com. However, the Zamboanga City mayor offered a more conservative figure, stating that one student and the shooter were killed and that two other students sustained injuries, the South China Morning Post reported.

The Philippine National Police acknowledged the discrepancy and said investigators were still working to establish the precise circumstances of the incident. The PNP added that it would release verified information as it became available, rather than confirm unsubstantiated details.

PNP Chief Urges Public Calm, Asks Parents to Heed School Pickup Advisories

PNP Chief Police General Jose Melencio C. Nartatez Jr. issued a statement saying that Police Regional Office 9 and the Zamboanga City Police Office responded promptly to the reported shooting and worked in coordination with school administrators and other agencies to ensure the safe and organized movement of students, faculty members, and school staff.

Nartatez called on the public to resist sharing unconfirmed reports, photographs, or videos related to the incident, warning that the spread of unverified content risked causing unnecessary alarm among already distressed families.

The PNP also directed parents and guardians to remain calm and to follow the school's designated pickup schedules and arrangements, explaining that orderly compliance would allow responding personnel to carry out their work without the added difficulty of campus congestion.

DepEd Coordinating Mental Health Support for Students and Staff

The Department of Education expressed grave concern over the shooting and confirmed it was prepared to extend support to affected students, their families, and school personnel, according to Rappler. DepEd said it was actively coordinating with mental health partners to deliver psychological first aid and psychosocial support services to those who need them in the aftermath of the incident.

The department likewise cautioned the public against spreading unverified information or circulating sensitive images, footage, or other content connected to the event — especially given that minors were present on campus at the time of the shooting.

The coordinated response from both the PNP and DepEd reflects the gravity with which national agencies are treating the incident, as school shootings remain relatively rare but deeply disruptive events in the Philippine context.

By the Numbers

  • 2 — confirmed fatalities, including the suspected student gunman, per Ateneo de Zamboanga University's official statement
  • 2 — additional students reported wounded, according to the Zamboanga City mayor via the South China Morning Post
  • 9 — number of wounded cited by some local media outlets, per Philstar.com
  • 7:50 a.m. — time Police Regional Office 9 received the first report of the shooting, per Maj. Shellamie Chang

Why This Matters

The fatal shooting inside Ateneo de Zamboanga University represents a significant and alarming breach of campus safety at one of Zamboanga City's prominent private educational institutions, prompting immediate mobilization from both the Philippine National Police and the Department of Education. The wide gap between early casualty figures — ranging from two wounded to as many as nine — highlights how difficult it is to manage accurate information flow during fast-moving campus emergencies, and underscores why official channels remain critical in such situations. The fact that the alleged gunman was himself a student, and that minors were present throughout the incident, has intensified the push from both law enforcement and education authorities to prevent the viral spread of unverified or potentially traumatizing content involving young people.

Source: Philstar.com, Rappler, South China Morning Post, SunStar

Recommended Ad
Shop deals on Lazada

We may earn from qualifying purchases.

Get the week's top stories in your inbox

Free weekly newsletter — no spam, unsubscribe anytime.