Frustrated by what he described as politically driven exclusion in the rollout of a national aid initiative, Batangas 1st District Representative Leandro Legarda Leviste declared on Friday, May 22, 2026, that he would personally provide one million sacks of rice to Batangueño families who were left out of the Marcos administration's "Bawat Bayan Makikinabang" ayuda program — and that not a single peso of taxpayer money would be used to do it.
Pledge Made Public at Kapihan Forum
Leviste made the announcement at the Kapihan ng Samahang Plaridel forum, a public platform where he laid out in detail the alleged irregularities he had observed in how relief goods and financial aid were being channeled — or deliberately withheld — across barangays in his congressional district and the broader province of Batangas.
Speaking directly to those in attendance, Leviste said the one million sacks would carry no political strings and no requirement that recipients pose for photo opportunities. "This is my personal contribution, at no cost to government. No need for people to wait for photo-ops, and no one will be excluded," the lawmaker said in his remarks at the forum, according to his office's statement on the event.
The pledge was framed as a direct countermeasure to what Leviste called systematic discrimination — a pattern, he argued, in which barangays whose officials were not considered political allies of the provincial administration were deliberately bypassed during government aid distributions.
Stubs Already Issued, Rice Never Came
Among the more specific grievances Leviste raised was the case of multiple barangays in his district where residents had already been issued distribution stubs for rice — only to have the scheduled deliveries cancelled without clear explanation. The abrupt reversals left community members holding documentation for goods they would never receive.
According to Leviste, the same 84 barangays that experienced these rice delivery cancellations were also excluded from the ₱200,000 per-barangay allocation under the "Bawat Bayan Makikinabang" program when President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. formally launched it on April 24, 2026. Reports cited by Leviste indicated that the checks for these 84 barangays had in fact been prepared as early as April 22, 2026, but were deliberately held back during the April 24 launch event.
Barangay captains who came forward to testify on the matter told the forum that they were informed by provincial government representatives that their communities were excluded because of "tampururot" — a colloquial Filipino term used to describe political non-alignment or being out of favor with those holding power at the local level.
Background on the 'Bawat Bayan Makikinabang' Program
The "Bawat Bayan Makikinabang" initiative was publicly introduced by President Marcos on April 24, 2026, and was presented as a universal assistance effort committed to reaching every barangay across the Philippines regardless of political affiliation or local dynamics. The program's stated goal was to ensure that rice and financial support would flow equitably to all communities under a single, nationally coordinated framework.
However, reports emerging from Batangas in the days after the launch painted a different picture on the ground. Certain barangays received their full allocations, while others — particularly those linked to officials not seen as aligned with the provincial administration — were passed over entirely, according to accounts gathered at the Kapihan ng Samahang Plaridel forum.
Leviste, whose political position differs from that of the Batangas provincial government, publicly took up the cause of the excluded communities, arguing that their residents were being denied benefits from a nationally funded program for reasons rooted purely in local political calculations.
Initial Deliveries Already Underway
The congressman confirmed that the distribution effort was not merely a future promise — it had already begun before his public announcement. He disclosed that earlier in the week, he had turned over 20,000 sacks of rice to the parishes of Batangas City. That distribution, Leviste said, was carried out based on the recommendation of former Batangas Governor Hermilando "Dodo" Mandanas. The decision to work through parishes rather than the provincial government's distribution channels was deliberate — it ensured that rice reached ordinary residents through community structures insulated from the provincial political machinery.
Then, on Thursday, May 21, 2026, Leviste turned over a further 20,000 sacks of rice specifically to barangay health workers, community tanods (watchmen), and other grassroots-level public servants within his district — workers who, despite performing essential frontline roles, had been left out of the provincial government's most recent distribution round. As of that date, total deliveries stood at 40,000 sacks, with the remaining 960,000 to follow in subsequent tranches.
A Call to Fellow Politicians
Leviste used the occasion not only to announce material assistance but to issue a broader appeal to local government officials across Batangas. He urged them to look past partisan loyalties when implementing public welfare programs, arguing that it was a matter of conscience as much as governance. "I hope my fellow politicians will find it in their conscience to stop discrimination in the distribution of government aid based on politics," Leviste said at the forum. "I am calling on local officials to work together to ensure that assistance reaches every family."
He refrained from naming individual officials but left little ambiguity about where he believed the problem originated — in the decisions made by local executives tasked with implementing centrally funded programs.
Scope of the Rice Pledge
The scale of what Leviste has committed to is significant by any measure. At the standard 25-kilogram sack weight commonly used in Philippine government relief operations, one million sacks would represent approximately 25,000 metric tons of rice — a volume large enough to provide meaningful food relief to hundreds of thousands of households across Batangas province.
No complete distribution timeline had been announced as of Leviste's May 22 statement, and his office had not released a formal schedule of upcoming delivery dates. The congressman indicated, however, that the process would continue until every family in Batangas that had been bypassed by the "Bawat Bayan Makikinabang" program had received rice through his personal initiative. No details on sourcing or storage logistics were disclosed at the Kapihan ng Samahang Plaridel forum.
Wider Implications for Aid Politicization
The allegations surfacing in Batangas have reignited longstanding national concerns about the politicization of government assistance programs in the Philippines. Civil society organizations and legislators have for years flagged the practice of using national aid resources as instruments of local political leverage — a pattern observed across multiple administrations.
The specific scenario described by Leviste — where barangay officials perceived as politically non-aligned were cut off from a universally mandated national program — echoes documented cases from prior relief operations, in which access to public goods was shaped by proximity to the dominant local political faction rather than by actual need.
As of May 22, 2026, the Batangas provincial government had not issued any formal response to the allegations raised by Leviste at the forum, according to available reports. Neither the Department of Agriculture nor the national government had released a statement addressing the reported irregularities in the Batangas implementation of the "Bawat Bayan Makikinabang" program as of that date.
Source: Originally reported by Manila Bulletin / wire reports
